Monday, January 8, 2018

Stewardship

I've been very busy checking out cancer clinics in Mexico and contacting some of them.  It usually involves filling out online medical questionnaires and having all my records from Fox Valley sent to them.  I have a couple phone interviews this week with doctors from the clinics to get a better idea of what the treatment plans will involve.

I also connected with a lady who also has breast cancer metastasized to her bones and who is a wealth of information!  She has been to Mexico already and had lots of info on that and on more resources within the U.S., which will be helpful in case I can't make it to Mexico.  So I am working through what she shared as well.

My doctor at Fox Valley, Dr. Coleman, is leaving the clinic to lighten his schedule and be able to spend more time at home, because his wife is due with a baby in a week or so.  He will still be working some at another clinic in Madison and working some from home, but his schedule is more flexible than his wife's work schedule, so he is doing what he can to be home and help rear their child, for which I applaud him.  Dr. Meress, who has already been consulting on my case anyway, will take over, so it won't be an issue.  Today was Dr. Coleman's last day at the clinic, and I was glad I was able to chat with him for several minutes and give him a hug before I left.

This week I will begin several sessions of colonics at a place in Appleton.  Dr. Abfall recommended that I do colonics, and it makes sense to ensure my intestines are cleaned out not only to eliminate toxins, but also so more nutrients, etc., can be absorbed into my blood stream through the colon.

Last night was another bad night with leg pain.  It's very hit-or-miss...I can have several good nights in a row, then all of a sudden I'll have a bad night or two.  The last time I remember looking at the clock it was 3:30 a.m., so there was no way I was going to get up at 5:30 in order to get to the clinic for an early hyperbaric appointment.  So I skipped the hyperbaric and went in later for an IV.  The rest of the day went well.  Tomorrow I will be at the Inochi detox clinic in West Bend for 4-5 hours.

Yesterday was a good day at church!  In Sunday School the topic of financial stewardship was discussed, and one of the points was that when we recognize that everything we have--not just money and possessions, but also talents, abilities, spiritual gifts--belongs to God and that we are only stewards of those things for God, it makes it much easier to share.  It reminded me of a couple of things.  First of all, I've always viewed my treatment choices as my endeavor to be as good of a steward as I can of the body He gave me.  Secondly, we have been humbled recently by very generous gifts from some individuals for whom we know it had to have been a significant sacrifice.  Those gifts brought us to tears, and those individuals obviously have a profound understanding of biblical stewardship demonstrated by their sacrificial willingness to share what God gave them.

The music at church yesterday was also a blessing.  Norman and Susan Smith and their family were with us for the day reporting on their ministry in Japan, and they have a lot of musical talent which they shared with us through several special numbers (they are good stewards of their talents!).  For one number, their oldest daughter, Chloe, 15, played guitar and sang a song that she wrote herself, and it was beautiful.  It was about how our lives are in God's control, and knowing what will happen is not our role--we just need to trust that His will is good.  Bob and I both thought it was very appropriate for our lives right now.  Another song that really spoke to me was one that we sang as a congregation, called "Jesus, Draw Me Ever Nearer":

Jesus draw me ever nearer
As I labor through the storm.
You have called me to this passage,
And I'll follow through I'm worn.
May this journey bring a blessing,
May I rise on wings of faith;
And at the end of my heart's testing,
With Your likeness let me wake.
Jesus guide me through the tempest;
Keep my spirit staid and sure.
When the midnight meets the morning,
Let me love You even more.
May this journey bring a blessing,
May I rise on wings of faith;
And at the end of my heart's testing,
With Your likeness let me wake.
Let the treasures of the trial
Form within me as I go;
At the end of this long passage,
Let me leave them at Your throne.
May this journey bring a blessing,
May I rise on wings of faith;
And at the end of my heart's testing,
With Your likeness let me wake.

The family who hosted the Smiths for lunch also invited our family to join them, so we had the added blessing of an excellent time of fellowship yesterday afternoon as well.  Most of the kids among our three families are close in age, so they had a fun day, too.







No comments:

Post a Comment