Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What Do I Eat?

I eat fresh, raw fruits, vegetables, and greens--some organic, some not.  Organic is best, but I frankly can't afford to buy everything organic.  I have learned that cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, kale, etc.) should actually be cooked--long enough to remove harmful compounds that, in a nutshell, contribute to goiters.  I drink juices with combinations of lots of fruits and vegetables in them.

I have a source where I can get fresh, organic shiitake mushrooms which are known for their cancer-fighting nutrients.

I drink raw milk and kefir from organic, pastured cows, as well as eating their cottage cheese and ghee (like butter, but with most of the lactose cooked out).  I mostly avoid butter and cheese.

I eat eggs from organic, free-range chickens.  Sometimes I mix a raw egg into my raw milk and drink it--with some other stuff added in.  :)

I eat beef and chicken from the good animals mentioned above as well as using their bones/carcasses to make bone broth.  To the broth I add organic lentils, garlic and onionsoregano and turmeric (curcumin), sea salt, as well as whatever vegetables I have on hand--like celery, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, kale, etc. 

I eat wild Alaskan salmon--not Atlantic.

I eat fermented foods like sauerkraut (a good, organic source) and miso.  Fermented foods are key for gut health--and the majority of the immune system stems from the gut.  Probiotics (found in kefir) are also key nutrients for the gut, and apple cider vinegar is beneficial for the gut as well.  I will make a hot tea with water, apple cider vinegar, honey, and cinnamon.

I eat raw, organic walnuts, almonds, and pepitas (pumpkin seeds) which are soaked to remove the phytates then dried.  I want to try Brazil nuts, too.  I love pistachios, but I haven't found an organic source yet.  I am avoiding cashews (which I love!) and peanuts since they can contain fungus--I will look into that more.  I also mix raw organic cacao nibs (the natural form of chocolate) with nuts, seeds, and raisins or cranberries for a snack mix.

I eat chia seeds, freshly ground flax seed, and milk thistle--all organic.  I mix them into my juice, milk, kefir, or cottage cheese.  I often sprinkle organic ground ginger and cinnamon on my fresh fruit.  I am learning more about other herbs, too. 

I avoid most grains, but I have occasionally had some quinoa (the only grain that is a complete protein) waffles, and I'll make myself some organic popcorn for a snack, using coconut oil or ghee for the oil.  Again, I use sea salt instead of table salt. 

I drink purified water.









No comments:

Post a Comment