Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Setting the Record Straight

A couple weeks ago, I ran into an acquaintance in a parking lot.  We made some small talk and talked about cancer (he is an older gentleman with cancer), and at one point he said, "You aren't going to the doctor, though, are you?"  I corrected him because that isn't true, but it made me wonder how many other people who know me or know of me think that I am not seeing a doctor.  Are people assuming that because I am not having radiation or chemo that means I am not seeing a doctor?

Just to clear the record, I am seeing a doctor.  I have an oncologist with whom I have met three times now.  I had a six-month follow-up in December with him following an ultrasound scan of my right breast (which was clear).  He also did more blood work.  Sometime in June, I will be due to see him again for another follow-up. 

My oncologist told me that he doesn't routinely do MRI, PET scans, etc., unless there is a reason to think the cancer has spread.  He said that he has found those tests to be unhelpful unless there is enough cancer to detect.  When I asked him about checking 'tumor markers', he basically said the same thing.  He did have them checked in December just to have a baseline with which to compare future levels.  So unless I start experiencing symptoms which may indicate that the cancer has recurred or spread, I won't be having much done. 

A note on having ultrasound on my breast instead of a mammogram:  mammograms use radiation which accumulates in the body and increases the risk of cancer.  The more mammograms one has, the more the risk increases.  This is why I chose to have an ultrasound.  Ultrasound can't pick up  micro-calcifications, which can be cancerous, but I'm not concerned about finding those.  I just want to be aware of any masses or lumps that may be forming.

No comments:

Post a Comment