Thursday, September 14, 2017

Next Steps

Since finding out on Wednesday, September 6, that there is cancer in bones in my hip area, I knew that I had to start pursuing treatments...the sooner the better.

One of the first questions that followed was, "Has it spread anywhere else?"  It seemed logical to get a full body scan to determine that.  First I contacted my thermography tech, and I learned something new:  infrared light doesn't penetrate bone, so thermography would not show cancer in the bones and was not a good option.  Next, I checked into a full body MRI and again learned something:  full-body MRI is not a thing; they aren't done.  Full body imaging is only done through nuclear medicine--like PET scans, bone scans, etc.  The problem is that those scans use radiation or radioactive fluids are injected into the body, and I don't like the idea of being exposed to more radiation...because radiation causes cancer.  So I need to do some more research on full-body imaging options, which I have some time to do, because they can only be ordered by my treating doctor.  Which brings me to the next step:  finding a doctor.

There is a naturopathic, alternative clinic called Fox Valley Wellness Center in Fond du Lac, which is only 30 minutes from our home, so I started there and was able to make an appointment for Monday, September 25 with Dr. Robert Coleman, who is also the president of the Wisconsin Naturopathic Association.  It will be a lengthy three-hour appointment with at least two of those hours spent with the doctor.  I have already faxed all of my completed paperwork and test results to them.

I've known about this clinic for a while now and actually contacted them about a month ago to inquire about using their hyperbaric oxygen chamber when I thought I had a soft tissue injury in my hip.  I knew they also offer several other cancer treatments like high-dose IV vitamin C and infrared sauna, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do for me.

In the meantime I have gone hard core on my diet again and have adjusted it to align more with a strict cancer-fighting ketogenic diet (high fat, moderate protein, low carbs).  You can find my article on the ketogenic diet here.  One very interesting result of this is that the nasty referred pain that would extend down my entire leg has disappeared!  I still feel minor pain in my hip itself in the three specific areas where the lesions are, but no pain down my leg.  I didn't take any ibuprofen last night before bed, and I had no problems through the night as well as still no pain today.  This is a huge blessing, and I can't think of any other reason why it has diminished other than eliminating grains and sugars that can be inflammatory.

I have just over a week before my appointment...God seems to like putting His children in the Waiting Room of life, doesn't He?  Undoubtedly because He knows better than any of us how much refining can be accomplished when we have nowhere else to turn but to Him.  Up to this point, I have continued to experience His peace without anxiety or stress, so I will continue to rest in His goodness, power, and sovereignty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment