Friday, May 13, 2016

My New Favorite Toothpaste

I have posted previously about fluoride and the fact that it's a highly toxic poison, which is why I only buy non-fluoridated toothpaste for myself and my kids.  Since my cancer diagnosis, I have learned about other natural methods of dental hygiene including diet (surprise, surprise), oil-pulling, and homemade toothpaste. 

Oil-pulling has become a regular part of my routine.  I simply put a small amount of coconut oil in my mouth and swish, squish, and goosh it around for about 10 minutes, making sure to work it through all of my teeth; then I spit it out and rinse.  My mouth definitely feels cleaner after oil-pulling.

I drink a lot of organic green tea--brewed hot with apple cider vinegar and raw honey--especially during the cold months.  Lately, I have noticed dark stains on my teeth from the green tea.  One day I decided to try brushing my teeth with baking soda, so I put a little coconut oil on my toothbrush, dipped it in baking soda, and went to work!  The baking soda has a salty taste to it, but it didn't bother me at all.  When I was finished, I was amazed at the results!  First of all, my mouth felt incredibly clean, and when I looked in the mirror, all the tea stains were completely gone!  I really couldn't believe that they were gone after brushing only one time with baking soda.  As I have continued to use coconut oil and baking soda, I can tell it is whitening my teeth, and I absolutely love how clean my mouth feels afterward. 

I have come across several links to recipes for making homemade toothpaste, so I know it's easy to find one if you're interested.  Below is one recipe that is as basic as it gets:




No comments:

Post a Comment